Saturday, April 28, 2012

QR Codes-A month later

Since my last post about using Qr codes, I have been very busy integrating them into my in the classroom. Some of the ways I have begun using them are to link to frequently used websites, the weekly menu (assignments in my class due that week), student exemplars, and interesting content.
Close up view of the header on guided notes for screencast. The code takes students to a brainpop video related to the topic.
Some things that could be barriers to using smart phones in class are addressed firstly by modelling. Are you the teacher constantly on your phone? That gives students the signal that its okay to be doing something else in your room. Instead, I only use my device to model correct behavior. This might include, modeling how to scan QR codes, showing a student how to download a free app for their phone, or taking a picture (like of a rock sample) and uploading it promptly and inserting it into whatever media artifact is being created at that time. Another important thing to remember is not to treat the codes like a passing fad. Making sure you utilize them on a regular basis helps normalize this otherwise unusual tactic in your room. Finally and most important is link to good content! I have been testing out most of the QR codes I have seen recently and can now tell good uses and bad. A good rule of thumb is to always have your codes link to mobile sites. It's pretty frustrating to scan a code and be directed to a site that was designed for a desktop. The best use I have found so far is to link to student created you tube videos that are able to play on mobile devices. That way, in my classroom students can have the "fun" of using their phone and get to see excellent examples of classwork at the same time.