An interesting thing happened in Early September, 2011. This was a week before school was scheduled to begin. Hurricane Irene slammed into New England dumping many inches of rain and flooding many areas bringing devastation and destruction. My basement filled with nearly two feet of water when the sump pumps failed.
How is that you might be wondering? Well, along with other items that were ruined, my entire curriculum of worksheets were destroyed. The timing of this could not have been better. The previous school year I had begun experimenting with using video instruction. I had also been working on creating a digital content management system for a few years. So it seemed like losing all my worksheets was a perfect time to transition into a new style of teaching for myself and a new style of learning for my students.
Looking back on this experience, I am so grateful that it happened this way. Sometimes we need a "push" in the right direction to change course. For me it was when my basement flooded. I feel so fortunate that I chose to look forward in a positive manner rather than wallow in self pity and then recreate what I had already had. I'm happier for it and consider myself a way better educator than I was before. I'm sure my students feel the same way.