Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Extending Class Time With Online Office Hours

What is this all about?

Truly embracing the 24/7 learning environment takes a unique approach. Tech tools that are available today allow me to connect in a meaningful way with my students outside of school hours. Using adobe
connect meeting software I hold a weekly office hours session where we can view video content together and discuss as well as more traditional help with content questions. Below you'll see a short video I made to demonstrate how the webinar style works with my class.

Benefits

I found that being available in the evening I was able to provide extra help to more students than the traditional time before and after school. The sessions during the 2012-2013 school year had an average of ten students with as high as twenty. Being able to record these sessions is a real benefit as students could log in another time if they missed the session thus extending their reach. When visiting the recorded sessions, students could download the materials and question sets as the file pod is very user friendly.