Lessons from 360
Professional evaluations have many permutations, one that interests me is the multi rater or 360 feedback model. While there are many flaws determined by research of this evaluation model the main idea has merit in that a professional's performance can be measured by multiple avenues. This is where student surveys come into play. While not part of an official evaluation scheme they play an important role in any seriously reflective practitioners quiver of tools. I've done a number of student surveys and learned a great deal from my students. When you let your guard down and allow yourself to be vulnerable to criticism, much growth can occur.
A Unique Perspective
As I grow as an educator I want to know how my classroom looks and feels through the eyes and hearts of my students. With this information in mind I can specially tailor my approach to our interactions and make the environment more accommodating. With so much at stake in today's educational arena, we must make every effort to understand how our students perceive their learning. It is only by pushing our own comfort levels, sometimes hearing critiques of ourselves, that students will meet us unencumbered by stress and anxiety in a middle ground where true learning can occur.