Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Intrinsic Growth Mindsets

Reassessments are a integral part of my classroom operation, but traditional feelings about grades are still prevail with my students. I see the desire to immediately reassess after a summative grade is announced. Since it is still relatively early in the school year, I'm still finding ways to explain that relearning and studying needs to take place before another try is given on a summative assessment. In school we should be getting students to see the value in growth, not just completing an assignment and moving on. Some strategies I am encouraging my students to employ include:

•Creating their own practice question sets related to topics they had difficulty on the assessment. 
•Reviewing various class activities such as blog posts, videos, and crowd sourced notes. 
•More old fashioned techniques like flash cards to reinforce vocabulary. 

Strategies = Growth
Now instead of rushing to provide students with a reassessment immediately upon completing a summative assessment I am having students going back to what learning is all about. Having them figure out what topics and ideas they need to ask questions and delve deeper into- gaining autonomy towards becoming their own learners.