Thursday, January 16, 2014

Quality Student Created Content

Having students create their own content to demonstrate understandings, rather than passively take in content that others have made is the way technology should be used in the classroom. Last year I put some thoughts on the topic down here. Since then, I've improved quite a bit on the mechanics behind creating the content which in turn drastically improved the quality of videos students produced.

Changing The Name

Taking a nod from the hack culture, I changed the name of the assignment to a challenge. I've never assigned grades for student created videos and this did not change. Instead clear directions with sign up sheet began the process.

Going With Google

Getting each video to look different and have its own feel was a big priority in this iteration of student screencasting. I felt that last year, using iMovie, too many of the videos looked similar. This was one reason in choosing Google presentations for the project. The other reason behind this choice was that it fit within our apps suite so screencasting became much easier for students to complete on their own at home- something that many did on purpose. Reasoning included quieter, better headphones/ microphones, more private. I was inspired by how many students actually used the cloud capabilities I have put so much effort into setting up for them including the +Ensemble Video dropbox which always works perfectly! See for your self these videos which were produced off site:

Content For All To See

I find it heartbreaking that often students put so much effort into projects and assignments that no one (besides the teacher) sees. That is where the true power of the playlist comes. Creating content for others is a main component in today's necessary skill set. Organizing the videos in a central place which is open to the net (HERE) allows students to learn from each other, share their expertise and showcase their work. To harness this medium in the classroom takes research, planning, effort and structure before the students begin- but the pay off is something everyone can be proud of!