Wednesday, July 23, 2014

What Are You Learning This Summer?

Screen shot from the app
Summer presents great opportunities for learning both about things you plan on and things that unexpectedly materialize. Being on Twitter regularly (as in everyday) the growth never stops- especially throughout the vacation months. One example was +Voxer which I kept hearing about and tried. It is a walkie talkie app that allows you to talk asynchronously with others. There are lots of conversations occurring around education and I hope to continue connecting with others to utilize this tool more fully.

Writing

Continuing a habit I started last summer- I am writing constantly. Right now I have four posts as drafts, this keeps my thoughts from getting lost and helps to solidify the ideas. An added benefit is the conversations with others that develop around both reading and writing blog posts.


Reading

I have two non-fiction books lined up to read the first is "World Class Learners: Educating Creative and Entrepreneurial Students" by Yong Zhao , and the second is "Teach Like A Pirate" by +Dave Burgess. I'm excited about reading both these books, I admire both of the authors and look forward to learning from them.

The Network

Only a small part of this would be possible without an amazing learning network. I feel so fortunate to be able to join in conversations with smart, inspired educators at virtually any hour of the day or night on a variety of channels to discuss and learn together. This is the true thread that holds my summer learning together. Without a learning network, summer wouldn't be the explosion of growth that I am currently experiencing. Have you learned something especially exciting this summer?