Saturday, January 3, 2015

Favorite Reads of 2014

Making time for professional reading was one of my goals for 2014, and I've picked three of my favorites to share with you! How did I pick these favorite books? I thought about readability, interestingness, and ability to apply ideas to practice.
  •  Teach Like A Pirate by Dave Burgess: I read this book in less than twenty four hours, it flows smoothly and is filled with many engaging vignettes and examples. The overall theme of continual enthusiasm no matter what really resonated with me. 
  • World Class Learners: Educating Creative and Entrepreneurial Learners by Yong Zhao: This more scholarly read highlights the problems associated with highly prescriptive state and national curriculums. While often highly critical, Mr. Zhao uses excellent examples from both present and past to bolster his thesis. 
  • Mindset: The New Psychology of Success by Carol Dweck: While not strictly an educational book, Mindset has relevance in all aspects of life including family, work, sports and education. After reading and reflecting I was able to identify aspects of the educational system that perpetuate the fixed mindset. 
Two of these books came from recommendations, I'm always interested in what others are reading and find interesting. What great books did you read last year?