Friday, March 20, 2015

Reminders Of Why I Teach

Today we had an early dismissal, and although the student's anticipation was apparent we had an awesome time playing a jeopardy game together. As the students during first period were leaving one student said to me "I really don't like school at all, but I look forward to being in your class".
Wow! I realized that the thought I put into making our time together into a memorable experience really impacts my students! On the way home, I reflected on why it is exactly that I am a teacher. It isn't the hours, the money, the recognition or the autonomy. It has to do with creating an experience for kids where they have fun and learn at the same time.
Mr. Rox- my new pet rock

Mr. Rox

The other day out of the blue a student handed me this pet rock to add to my "rock family" that lives on the demonstration table near the front of our classroom. This gesture was so kind and genuine- it even has a small handmade bowtie! The fact that this student had created something so special as this on her own time and added such thoughtful features (like the mini computer) indicated to me that the class experience I'm creating really means something to her.


Why Do You Teach?

I'm sure we all have our own reasons we became educators, and many of those reasons are really very intrinsic I'm sure. By bringing our focus back to what we value as important in our classrooms and schools we respect our core values of why we are educators. Is there a special reason you became a teacher or administrator? Share them with us in the comments!