Wednesday, February 22, 2012

How I Teach- Part 1

What kind of rock is this cookie like and why? I ask my students this higher order question while out at lunch on a Sunday. Within a few minutes students began correctly answering the question in the comments section of my blog post.
 This school year I've decided to write about and describe the teacher I am.
My big idea is that learning does not begin or end in the classroom. It is a continual process that the I must emulate. For their part, students become intrinsically motivated and take ownership of their own learning. By doing this they know what questions to ask, how they study best. Being available outside the confines of class time allows me to differentiate assistance thus better utilizing time both in class and outside of class.
Now, it goes without saying that technology helps greatly and without it the concept would be different and not as effective. Some of the "tools of the trade" I'll discuss are:
  1. Blogging platform
  2. Wiki uses
  3. Online support for students
  4. Vodcasting 
  5. Online homework/ assessments
  6. Use of PLN