Sunday, March 18, 2012

Out of the box teaching-flipped class and beyond.

After teaching for ten years, one thing is certain. Teachers work in a vacuum. It is unusual that in our profession, we rarely (if ever) see each other in action. Some times I can go for a few days without seeing the teacher who teaches next door to me. It just gets like that sometimes, seemingly so busy. So this year, a friend of mine kicked me in the rear and and I started this blog to try and give back to my personal learning network. It was also this year that people in my school became more and more interested in the strategies I am using and how my class looks. One of my supervisors asked me if I would like to present about my classroom at the Lower Hudson Regional Information Center (LHRIC) Tech Expo 2012. I am really excited at the possibility of sharing the experiences I'm having. Here is the session description I wrote:
Learn how to create and deliver flipped lessons including vodcasts, screencasts, class blogs and wikis. Explore unusual ways to extended class time with evening office hours utilizing video conferencing. Learn how the SMART response system (SENTEO) and online learning tools can be utilized in Data Driven Instruction (DDI). Understand philosophical advantages to combining these tools together to improve instruction and increase enduring understandings in classrooms or districts, while engaging students in new and exciting ways.
Its funny how when I started thinking about the description, seventy five words seemed overwhelming. As it started flowing seventy five words seemed extremely restrictive. I've always been proud of what I do in my classroom, but it is so rewarding to have people be interested in it too because I put so much energy into it. Hopefully this April I'll be sharing my ideas with more interested people, and after that who knows?