Saturday, March 17, 2012

Flipped assessment strategies

Take home quizzes have always been hard to justify, I mean most teachers ask how can you keep the students from cheating? In coming to the conclusion that I might just give all my quizzes as homework I thought to myself "what exactly is cheating, and is most of it really that bad?".
This is my current thoughts on the system to be used for take home quizzes.
As my thoughts about collaboration and properly utilizing resources mature, I don't see any problem with a student looking up or researching the answers to a take home quiz. I'm not sure yet how I feel about students working together as each student would be given an individual grade, but I'll keep thinking about that as I go. Another important aspect to this new plan is that I am taking what is essentially "wasted" class time during a traditional quiz and transforming it into meaningful instructional time. What teacher hasn't hear a colleague lament that "there is not enough time to teach all this". Well I have solved this problem.


Teacher gains +1 class day every day this is done. Therefore getting farther ahead rather than farther behind in old model
The take home quiz concept that I am using benefits greatly from technology. I use Castlelearning as my online assessment tool. The way I use it is also unusual. Instead of giving the students one set quiz that I make, I have students create their own assignments using pre-specified parameters such as topics, difficulty and number of questions. They can do this as many times as needed (building in retries on the front end rather than on the back end) which I think is really smart. Once they are happy with the grade, they mark it with a "final" in the title.