"Do not hire a man who does your work for money, but him who does it for the love of it" Henry David ThoreauPassion for what I do as an educator is probably the most central and essential ingredient. Heck you have to want to check your e-mail over the weekend, have online office hours during the evening and put in all that prep work making your lessons perfect. We work to earn a living, I get that. But the point that Thoreau's quote brings up to me is I love what I do. The supreme importance of what we do means that it is critical that our heart is in it everyday. When you love what you do, it shows. You've modeled interest in your own learning and theirs, you've demonstrated patience and commitment, and you've shown your students that you aren't just working, you're doing what you love.
Friday, February 24, 2012
How I Teach-Part 2 "Love what you do"
Tags:
ideas