Presenting at the LHRIC Tech Expo 2012 was a great opportunity to begin sharing the methods I use in my classroom. I appreciated the experience I gained while developing my presentation because it forced me to articulate my educational approach to classroom design. The physical spaces in which we teach in, I believe, define us as educators. Thousands of hours of thought have gone into how my classroom is currently set up. One of the main paradigm shift for me this year was my desk elimination project. Now in its sixth month, this project has had a profound impact on how my classroom feels. Removing the teacher desk
eliminated what students described as an entirely private space. The demonstration table in the front of the room now is work space for students to use during class and provides a wonderful standing desk environment for them if they choose to work that way. Since collaboration is so important, I have joined eight tables together in the center of the room. There are no assigned seats in this configuration, and it is interesting to note which students sit in the center or gravitate to the more individualized tables around the edges. Since I don't have a teacher desk, I move around constantly facilitating learning. Read my post on the benefits here.
Vocabulary is a focal point in the room. You see the current vocabulary posted on the word wall as well as summaries of the previous topics higher up. Students find these especially helpful at this point in the year when they are beginning to review for their end-of-year exams. At this point I would be remiss by not mentioning how fully supportive my supervisors are by letting me take full control over the design of my room. Three years ago, when the SMART board was being installed, they asked me where I wanted it to go. I removed a cork board and shifted the seating towards the side to utilize the side of the room better. The room is diamond shaped and I feel that this makes much better use of the whole room. Our computer of choice is the Apple Mac book, which we have thirty of in a mobile cart. This cart is complete with a printer and wireless hub. Programs the students use frequently on them include: imovie, quicktime player (to record screencasts), smart notebook, and powerpoint. During class time students are free to move around the room and utilize any equipment they need.
The document camera has been getting so much use these days capturing and recording student drawing and diagrams that many students have begun photographing these artifacts with their mobile phones, then emailing to their web based address where they can then retrieve and insert into their assignment. I have challenged myself to create a classroom that embraces the power of mobile technology by also utilizing QR codes to link to frequently utilized websites (mobile of course) and student media exemplars via our class youtube channel. Additionally this helps reduce paper clutter which you will notice is missing from my classroom. I have digitized my entire course and am developing more ways to use web based content management systems.
Overall I have worked extremely hard to create a complete learning environment. It is simple, devoid of clutter and unnecessary items. Collaboration is emphasized and choices are provided. Not having a teacher desk relieves me from being centered in one spot and allows me to be one hundred percent accessible to the students. I want each student who walks through the door to feel welcomed and supported in learning. We use technology not just because we can, but to create meaningful artifacts that demonstrate a deeper understanding and can be shared to a broader audience via the internet. I am on my way to creating the ultimate classroom.