Friday, March 8, 2013

Learning spaces are everywhere

Today, my school was closed for a snow day. For generations of students this brings to mind waking up late, pancakes and an afternoon of sledding. In other words a day that was supposed to be in school that is spent doing things not necessarily related.

In my blended learning environment, a snow day does not create a schedule disruption. Last night we had our online extra help session where we watched two new videos I created, and then did some practice question sets and I was available to answer questions. As usual a few students pitched in to help me answer questions which is awesome and exactly what I am looking to happen with these online sessions.

Today I assigned an online quiz, and set up shop at a local bakery to do some writing. While I was working I was able to monitor my students progress on their quiz and answer questions via email. Not super flashy, but it worked.

It got me thinking about the "when and where" of learning. I'm coming around to thinking that we need to be creative about the spaces that we learn in. Does that mean that kids shouldn't go to a physical school? Not at all (my opinion), but it does mean that disruptions can be minimized and life long learning can be modeled and accomplished with technology tools available to us today. How do you feel about this? Do you get uncomfortable with the idea that classrooms might not be needed and used as much in the future? Or are you comfortable bringing the learning spaces with you wherever you go?