Monday, October 6, 2014

How A Pirate Deals With A Speeding Ticket

Yes, this morning started off on the wrong foot- with a speeding ticket on my way in to work! Ughh you might say! Well, today was different. While getting a ticket is unfortunate, I was able to refocus! This shift was largely due to information and ideas in the chapter titled "Enthusiasm" from the book Teach Like A Pirate by +Dave Burgess.


You Are On Stage 

One of the things I appreciated so much about Dave's writing is how he draws parallels between teaching and other past interests and professions. One such example is his experience as a magician. Teaching as showbusiness has always made sense to me, thus our outward demeanor is so important.
"Professional performers feel a huge weight of responsibility to deliver something special for this particular audience on this particular day."- DB (pg. 961/2084 e-version)
With that quote in my mind I made a conscious decision to not mention my ticket with anyone this morning- especially not my students. While I could have wallowed and held a "pity party" for myself (read- grumpy) that wasn't what my students deserve. I welcomed them with smiles and questions about their weekend just like any other Monday and created an enjoyable atmosphere where they were creating cartoons based on elements they chose from the periodic table. While we work so hard to cultivate welcoming, warm and enjoyable/ exciting classrooms, all that hard work can go flying out the window with one ill timed remark or admonishment. These seemingly insignificant interactions happen when we are introverted and selfishly thinking too much about ourselves. We owe it to our students to shelter them from the difficulty and hardship of our lives and make learning spaces that are free from worry. Heaven knows- they have enought ot worry outside of our classrooms on their own.